- New Blog Post Reasons to Ditch the Pen - Today I sent a comment in response to an excellent article about reducing o... http://ht.ly/18RVxf 8:33 AM Sep 5th via HootSuite
- 12 Reasons to Ditch the Pen - My comments at http://ht.ly/2zrnu I'm challenging myself to digitise my #elt resources. CAN YOU DO IT TOO? 2:26 PM Sep 4th via HootSuite
- I like Dropbox. It's got moxie. http://db.tt/GmP0iJR 7:07 PM Sep 3rd via Dropbox
- New Blog Post Young Learner English Resources - I posted a Tweet today to share 31 websites suitable for young learn... http://ht.ly/18ObbW 9:12 AM Sep 1st via HootSuite
- RT @SimpleCEO: 101 Free #edtech tools for ANY classroom, tech or not: http://ht.ly/2wLdA Registration reqd to download. 11:03 PM Aug 30th via HootSuite
- RT @musictechie: Edutecher website and MUST have app. One of the best edu apps around. Adam rocks! http://www.edutecher.net/index.php 11:29 PM Aug 29th via HootSuite
- kylepace Sweet Sites for elem, middle, and high school teachers and students...http://bit.ly/9vIRse from @findingdulcinea #edtech 6:17 AM Aug 29th via TweetDeck Retweeted by you and 5 others
- Check out eflclassroom.ning.com by visiting http://feedjit.com/o/39LB/ and get a link to your blog or profile. 11:18 AM Aug 28th via Feedjit
- The Differentiated Classroom.pdf http://ht.ly/2w2W7 An excellent e-book by Tomlinson with many pract. ideas for multi-level classes. #elt 10:57 AM Aug 28th via HootSuite
- Free Technology for Teachers: Read Print - 8,000+ Free Books & Essays Online http://bit.ly/bjgPw9 9:57 PM Aug 27th via The Twt Times
- ChrisCattaneoCheck this video out -- The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle http://t.co/wLCAs2A via @youtube 7:03 PM Aug 27th via Tweet Button Retweeted by you and 1 other
- YouTube - simonscat's Channel http://ht.ly/2sNJs 8 Funny short videos - reminds me of some creatures I know. 9:00 PM Aug 21st via HootSuite
- The Twitter Greg Quinlivan Daily http://bit.ly/a3YP29 for Monday 16th August out now! Get your copy here. 9:13 PM Aug 16th via TweetMeme
- RT @TheConsultantsE: Gr8 list! Online Vocabulary Games http://bit.ly/brB9gS 9:47 PM Aug 14th via HootSuite
- RT @web20classroom: What is a PLN? Why is it important? http://bit.ly/dfIu3W Good introductory video in 10-part series about PLNs. 8:58 PM Aug 13th via HootSuite
- RT @tomwhitby: "Why students don't learn what we think we teach" http://is.gd/eeGzK Strongly focused on learning. Thoughts for teachers. 4:29 PM Aug 13th via HootSuite
- Thanks2Teachers RT @sccenglish Study from Australia, worth reading: schools and social media: http://bit.ly/a0HK8t #edchat #edtech 6:07 PM Aug 12th via web Retweeted by you
- 31 Ways to Help Young English Learners - GR8 Sites, many interactive activities. http://ht.ly/2nW4P #tesol #efl #esl #elt. 2:42 PM Aug 11th via HootSuite
- Facebook or Twitter or Both? - Teacher Greg's Education & Dhamma Home http://ht.ly/2nSIn in reply to Jason Renshaw (English Raven) #edtech 10:50 AM Aug 11th via HootSuite
- Some school funnies… » Alan Lawrence Sitomer http://ht.ly/2mA2q Scary, but real answers from 16yo's on exam. #edchat #tesol 9:18 PM Aug 8th via HootSuite
- EasyBib: Free Bibliography Maker - MLA, APA, Chicago citation styles http://ht.ly/2mxNj Also, citation guide for MLA. #edtech #musictech 4:05 PM Aug 8th via HootSuite
- RT @TweetSmarter: Terrific Collection of FREE Twitter Tools by category: http://j.mp/9Hx040 112 tools worth looking at. #edtech #edchat 9:33 PM Aug 7th via HootSuite
- Links-ReformSymposium2010 - Google Docs http://ht.ly/2miuG Hundreds of links to sites, blogs, software, talks, vids - good for all teachers. 11:47 AM Aug 7th via HootSuite
- RT @marynabadenhors: RT @MrsAngell Fantastic ESL Language videos http://icio.us/nvcuv0 More than 1,500 of them! 9:12 PM Aug 5th via HootSuite
- Check out my fresh Twitter Tim.es newspaper http://twittertim.es/gregqbear 8:06 PM Aug 5th via web
- Free Twitter for business ebook | Smarta http://ht.ly/2lfna Also has many general tips on using Twitter worth considering. 11:13 AM Aug 5th via HootSuite
- Can Twitter help with education? | Parentella http://ht.ly/2lem0 For the unbelievers and the unconvinced, here's what other teachers say. 10:10 AM Aug 5th via HootSuite
- RT @web20classroom: A Twitteraholic’s Guide to tweets, hashtags, & all things Twitter http://diigo.com/0c585 Worth keeping it for ref! 9:51 AM Aug 5th via HootSuite
- Best Student / Teacher web 2.0 language learning / teaching sites http://ht.ly/2kOyR by David Deubelbeiss #edtech #tesol #elt #esl 8:12 PM Aug 4th via HootSuite
- NOOKstudy Download Free, Digital Textbooks, eTextbook Application - Barnes & Noble http://ht.ly/2kE1d Now live! #edchat #tesol #elt #musiced 9:18 AM Aug 4th via HootSuite
- RT @DoremiGirl: UPDATED! RT @web20classroom: A Huge, Sortable, and Updated Spreadsheet Of All TED Talks Available: http://bit.ly/cEBcjF 1:07 PM Aug 3rd via HootSuite
- RT @englishraven: Validation http://bit.ly/9x4GLl Now with my comments, also available at http://ht.ly/2je1Z #tesol #elt #efl 11:00 PM Jul 31st via HootSuite
- RT @marynabadenhors: Google in classroom resources under headings http://echucaelearning.wikispaces.com/Google+Docs Everything Googley! 10:19 PM Jul 31st via HootSuite
- @englishraven Have you considered following it with a PELTA course? Could be a good money earner! #elt #tesol #efl 9:35 PM Jul 31st via HootSuite in reply to englishraven
- RT @marynabadenhors:Strivney...Free site to learn reading with phonics http://ow.ly/2iKMh I've seen 2 recommends now for it. Check it out! 9:49 PM Jul 30th via HootSuite
- RT @cybraryman1: Schools should have clear policies on use of SM & tech. developed with students/parents input. Gr8 observation! Very smart! 9:42 AM Jul 29th via HootSuite
- RT @marynabadenhors: Looking Ahead at Social Learning: 10 Predictions http://bit.ly/cfk4NV About future of education. Where do you fit? 8:14 PM Jul 28th via HootSuite
- RT @marynabadenhors: Get thinking into your lessons: a ten point plan http://bit.ly/9WZhw5 Thanks, Maryna. PDF file & any ideas. 8:32 AM Jul 28th via HootSuite
- RT @web20classroom: Learn It in 5 - How-to Vids for Teachers http://is.gd/dK8eu Delicious, Twit,Ning, Kidblog, TeacherTube, VoiceThread, etc 9:38 PM Jul 27th via HootSuite
- RT @kalinagoenglish: Super! More people need 2 understand Creative Commons - http://bit.ly/bXsMf4 Protect your original works by licences. 9:22 PM Jul 27th via HootSuite
- RT @EnglishWiZiQ: RT @Twinky7109: Free Virtual Classroom for Online Teaching and Learning http://bit.ly/cQ03HL Worth checking out! 8:45 PM Jul 27th via HootSuite
- Just changed on http://wefollow.com twitter directory to list under: #hsinchu #buddhism #travel #tech #education #music 7:40 PM Jul 27th via WeFollow
- RT @ShellTerrell: 20 Websites No Teacher Should Start the Year Without http://j.mp/coiqOF #edtech #elearning via @oswego98 9:08 PM Jul 25th via HootSuite
- RT @marynabadenhors: RT @rkiker 99 of the best Windows freeware programs you may not know of http://bit.ly/9WnBno 9:15 PM Jul 19th via HootSuite
- English Raven: Easy? Says who? http://ht.ly/2a5f1 Difficulties with ELL's and reading, together with my comments. A fun read (if you can)! 6:19 PM Jul 12th via HootSuite
- RT @paksorn: What Is The Purpose of Your School’s Curriculum? | edte.ch http://j.mp/bm65lP Now with my additional brief thoughts. 5:56 PM Jul 12th via HootSuite
- RT @tomwhitby: A site for Mobile Learning Devices for Elem Level. http://bit.ly/cR4vfl Sharings and lesson ideas from many schools. 9:19 AM Jul 12th via HootSuite
- @ NickKristof Why change to a silly scoring system just to boost points? It doesn't change anything. If you score more goals you win anyway. 9:11 AM Jul 12th via HootSuite
- RT @ShellTerrell: RT @flourishingkids: My first Prezi! If You Give a Teacher Twitter http://bit.ly/c6y8nk PLEASE share re uses of Twitter. 10:13 PM Jul 11th via HootSuite
- RT @eflclassroom: New post on EFL CLASSROOM 2.0 - using culturally appropriate music http://ning.it/b19eCi Now with my added comments! 9:53 PM Jul 11th via HootSuite
- RT @DoremiGirl: Great post! REFORM vs. TRANSFORM by @tomwhitby http://ht.ly/29KmY #edchat Making tech. ubiquitous in teaching & learning. 8:44 PM Jul 11th via HootSuite
- RT @web20classroom: Igniting Innovation in Education through Collaboration | Edutopia http://bit.ly/9241oz Helps appreciate value of twitter 8:36 PM Jul 9th via HootSuite
- RT @DoremiGirl: Periodic Text Message (SMS) Table: A handy quick guide for those with DSL accents. http://ht.ly/2903w via @nero1279 7:59 PM Jul 9th via HootSuite
For those who don't yet "follow" me on Twitter @gregqbear, here are my tweets and re-tweets related to Education between 8th July and today. There are heaps of resources and ideas among them - please check out the links!
I agree the basic twitter.com page is like a firehose. However, I've got a few ways of stilling the flow.
I use "Hootsuite" and arrange those I'm following into columns according to interest area e.g. ESL, travel, etc. Then I only put the ones I'm REALLY following closely into each category. The conversations are threaded and if you click on a little + next to the message it brings up a preview of the real site with an image and some text.
If you want to send longers messages, you can use twextra for rich formatting too.
Another nice service is twitt.er times which gives a newspaper version of the main tweets you receive which have attachments. It includes images, a summary of the story and who tweeted or retweeted it.
Also, you can use twitpic or twitvid to upload and share pictures and videos. Twitter is also rolling out a suggested friends function (on the regular .com site).
Of course, I agree that some of these are add-ons rather than built-in features, and that Facebook is more for personal & social communication.
However, FB is not without its issues and limitations also. One of the biggest was privacy problems, which I'm not sure are completely addressed yet. For adults I guess this is less of a concern than with children who may share more on FB than they should. Also, I believe third party companies can still access your friends and friends of friends for direct marketing. Finally, all the stupid/inane apps (like Farmville) are still potential hazards.
That is why I've been terribly unfashionable and started a MySpace account. It's harder to convince friends to use it, but if you look at the new interface and some of the other nice features, it's really as good as FB. Since I have recorded a number of music tracks, MySpace also lets me share these directly from my profile both in audio and video formats. It also offers a blog where you can rant on longer if you want, and it's the second biggest network behind FB.
Bottom line, there's a place for both. It's just a question of getting them to work for you efficiently, and of choosing which to use in which context.
Posted 11th August, 2010 at http://jasonrenshaw.typepad.com/jason_renshaws_web_log/2010/08/facebook-or-twitter-or-both.html
For those of you who don't use Twitter or don't follow me there (@gregqbear), here are the tweets and re-tweets I posted between March and today.
You will find literally thousands of ideas and resources in them. Enjoy. Comment.
RT @TESConnect: It's not an Apple, but the TES iBoard is the greatest fun you can have without touchscreen technology
RT @ShellTerrell: Great ideas using mini-whiteboards at @pysproblem81's place http://bit.ly/9WDNE5 #esl Also, with my own ideas in comments.
“The Internet!” Infographic | Larry Ferlazzo's Websites of the Day... http://ht.ly/27mXm Fascinating details on the size of the Web NOW!!!
RT @Larryferlazzo: Nice language learning/teaching resources from @CASLS_NFLRC http://bit.ly/ai9hs9 Consider subscribing for more articles.
Just joined the Education community to keep track of the best experts. Join me here: http://mrtweet.com/c/education?v=jt
I Want to Use Technology, But ... - http://ht.ly/26N4o Looking for help in using IWBs. Please leave ideas. #edtech #efl #edchat #elearning
100+ Google Tricks That Will Save You Time in School – Diigo http://ht.ly/26Kp9 Searches, gmail, docs, cal, mobile, chrome, etc
RT @marynabadenhors: @gregqbear try this link http://bit.ly/bypFXT for the gifted teacher video. Thanks to all great teachers everywhere.
RT @barbsaka: Beautiful site full of original images for #teaching #English http://bit.ly/98Woir Plus grammar, vocab, pron., convers., games
RT @Larryferlazzo: Can language shape how we think?, Fascinating article http://bit.ly/a8pgfS
RT @ShellTerrell: Problem Solving Games http://bit.ly/b3iLuG gr8 list! #elearning #edtech
137 Tech Resources For Teachers and Students | SoYouWantToTeach.Com http://ht.ly/24GAq
@thornburyscott: New article "T is for Taboo"; now with 5 comments, including my own. See them at http://ht.ly/23MP3 #elt #tesol #efl
RT @sywtt: To all teachers out there - thanks: "You have made a difference" http://ht.ly/23LhO #elt #tesol #musiced
@cybraryman1 You could add http://www.pdfgeni.com/ which covers PDF ebooks, manuals, catalogs, sheets, forms and docs. #elt #edtech #musiced
My 'as is' upper elementary to int. book reviews, stories, jumbles & more to share at http://ht.ly/23KVT #efl #elt #tesol Enjoy! Adapt!
Wallwisher – 105 Classroom Ideas « Sean Banville's Blog http://ht.ly/23JoY Heaps of uses for this great little app. Love it! #efl #tesol...
RT @marynabadenhors: Free illustrated story starters for Early years Literacy http://www.meddybemps.com/9.700.html Thanks again Maryna.
RT @marynabadenhors: Fab ideas and resources for little kids Literacy, monthly themes etc. http://www.littlegiraffes.com/
RT @sywtt: 52 Habits of Highly Effective Teachers - http://bit.ly/csTXUC Many ideas to explore here.
RT @tomwhitby: RT @isteconnects: Good foundational article on theory of PLNs, why/how they work, learning futures http://bit.ly/16THuy
Why don't more teachers have a PLN? #edchat #efl #elt - they don't know what ... http://twextra.com/38bc5n
rt @livesofteachers FAQ & provoking answers. | TDSIG http://bit.ly/aE8mLu (from 'critical friend' series) #IATEFL +MY THOUGHTUL COMMENTS
Google Scholar Blog http://ht.ly/1ZzsU New from Google. First post on 'alert' service. #efl #tesol #edtech #musedtech
@web20classroom File sharing - I'm going to try www.opendrive.com. They offer 5Gb's.
RT @web20classroom: RT @AngelaMaiers: A-Z Cool Tools http://ow.ly/1XPsS Like the organization of these! <--Cool stuff! Tchr friendly sites.
RT @lclandfield: Seen this? V. clever spoof movie trailer. Potential for critical analysis of Hollywood plot devices! http://bit.ly/9wTVr8
RT @tomwhitby: His PLN is built/revolves around Twitter, Ning, Linkedin, Delicious, Facebook, My Blog, Skype, EDU Conferences & his classes.
@i_to_iTEFL My funniest - when CD started to skip so Ss & I began to stammer the words & robot dance. Some Ss still tittering 20 mins later.
RT @ralphvandenberg: Any noun can be turned into a verb just by adding -ing. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Cute! but a bit scary ;o)
@web20classroom We DO expect tech, but in many EFL countries it's just not there or not usable. #edchat
@tomwhitby Tom, you're preaching mostly to the converted. Here we need to preach to government, ministers & admin's. #edchat
@web20classroom The more you read about reliability & validity the more holes you'll see in the way assessment is done in schools.
All stakeholders to be involved in lobbying for ed. reform, not just tchrs & admin. Unions should focus on conditions, not policy. #edchat
RT @paksorn: Office Web Apps With Free Doc Editing + 25 GB Storage http://j.mp/d4GQFh It's a good deal. Incl. Word, Excel, PPT, 1Note, 25GB
RT @SeanBanville: RT @bbettger: Just about everything you ever needed on classroom management, this huge list has it! http://bit.ly/3hpVz
RT @thornburyscott: RT @livesofteachers: Interview with joy egbert - engagement, tech. and flow http://bit.ly/cLY7zj Good for ESL teachers
RT @paksorn: How to Access Your Computer Files Over the Internet from Anywhere http://j.mp/9eL2KV You can add box.net to this - I like it.
F is for Flow « An A-Z of ELT by Scott Thornbury http://ht.ly/1Uqu2 Now with comments by me.
Needs a little work for ESL, but great! Smories - new stories for children, read by children http://ht.ly/1UpQP #efl #tesol #edchat
Consider taking survey. Global practices in Teaching English to Young Learners (TEYL) http://ht.ly/1UpFx #elt #tesol #edtech #edchat #efl
My 'as is' Intermediate plus grammar worksheets: definitions, adverbs, common verbs, tense recognition. http://ht.ly/1TwTu #elt #tesol #tefl
Techno Constructivist: Building Your Own Personal Learning Network http://ht.ly/1TTyg Good intro. with useful PLN tool ideas.
RT @SeanBanville: The most popular video for teaching ELLs. http://bit.ly/dtLc0n W&G's Close Shave and others with s/titles & PDF guides.
RT @SeanBanville: RT @kfbunny: Trends in Language Learning: What's hot, what's not http://wp.me/pNAh3-5o Good, short, sharp, commonsense.
RT @tomwhitby: Now a cornucopia + my own assumptions. Impediments to educational reform: Feast of Assumptions. http://bit.ly/ajjKVw #Edchat
Whatever social network you use, great resources for parents & teachers re safety Bebo Safety http://ht.ly/1T1co #efl #edtech #education
@cybraryman1 Accountable parents? More admin support? YEAH! YEAH! YEAH! Oh sorry, it's only a suggestion. Doh!
@cybraryman1 Not surprising re rotation problems. Tchrs at good schools unwilling, I'd say, to move to tougher ones.
@cybraryman1 Not a fan of final summative tests. Too many validity/reliability issues e.g. nervousness, illness, confusion, etc.
@cybraryman1 Tchr evaluation should be on test score TRENDS not raw scores (+ other items). If trending up then OK.
Elizabeth Gilbert on "Nurturing Creativity" http://j.mp/XWJRV Tks @jeremycowart A creative person can benefit from insights. #musiced #efl
RT @paksorn: It isn't a homework assignment until someone cries... and it doesn't have to be the student! - Ed. Week http://j.mp/bMqA6n #efl
RT @tomwhitby: Digital Pointers? http://bit.ly/86CKmb. Great article. Now includes my 'thoughtful comments' too. #edchat #education #edtech
RT @russell1955: Absolutely amazing sets of free pintable Flash cards. Out of this world. For all languages http://bit.ly/bHhI15 Says it all
Twtpoll :: Create Online Polls and Web Surveys. Social Media Feedback. http://ht.ly/1Qyfp Good for engaging students outside of textbook.
@ShellTerrell Not sure if this is relevant, but I like getting kids OUT of the classroom and into the outdoors, esp. for EFL. #edchat #efl
RT @TheEngTeacher: Sir Ken Robinson - Bring On the Learning Revolution: http://bit.ly/dcWSh9 Where ed. needs to go now - GREAT TED vid. #efl
RT @mhuskerfan: huge free collection of Mp3 stories and poems http://su.pr/1Ohayx Includes sound, text, pdf, lesson ideas, curric. obj etc.
RT @kalinagoenglish: Rip-roaringly-funny new-ELT-blogger at http://tiny.cc/yq1fe Yes, lots of laughs here - and often cause they are true!
RT @TheEngTeacher: How to Create a Jazz Chant by Carolyn Graham via @barbsaka http://viigo.im/3Btw Really practical & clear video.
@SimpleK12 I read a recent article that declared there are no such things as learning styles. Am I mistaken or is there still disagreement?
@SimpleK12 In Brunei two years ago I was offered a blackboard & I had to buy my own chalk! And that's a wealthy country! #edchat
@tomwhitby I assume admin. observations are based on pre-set criteria or proclivities of observer. Best to ask BEFORE being observed. #efl
@tomwhitby Some argue in favour of banning certain info from kids. For adults, what about bans on bomb making instructions or hate messages?
English Raven: Where do we go now? http://ht.ly/1N7GN Read Jason's article & my equally interesting comments on ELT in 2020. #efl #ell
RT @NikPeachey: The accent girl video!! http://bit.ly/beMw7I She is Brit, Fr, German, Aussie, Kiwi & Yank, etc. No Asian/Afr/SAmer though.
RT @NikPeachey: huge collection of sounds to download or embed http://bit.ly/8Pk4sP #elearning #edtech #tefl #esl
@francoiseleste Should kids love going to school? Hard question. I think as teachers we should facilitate it. Are you saying they don't now?
@tomwhitby We don't necessarily support the use of grades, but we don't necessarily get the choice to do something different either. #edchat
@djainslie Unfortunately administrators also see tests as end of learning cycle & use them to judge our effectiveness. #edchat
@tomwhitby Cross-marking is more an issue of reliability. If all else is equal, markers trained & have clear mking scheme it should be OK.
@tomwhitby Working at 100% of ability IS an achievement. Whether kid fails depends on purpose of test. Can we graduate doctors who fail?
@posthhs Basic content know. tests problematic - nerves, design, adequate coverage of material, rubrics, fairness, preparation, time allowed
@tomwhitby We are responsible for failing students so long as we make all the assessment & curriculum decisions. Until then, no. #edchat
@tomwhitby Grades vs learning achieved - in short term grades get into univ. etc; long term world needs learners. Reality vs ideals? #edchat
@tomwhitby Well, portfolio assessment is much richer, more thorough, less a snapshot & more reflective of actual ability. No nerves either.
@TheEngTeacher @teacherlingo Perhaps basic problem is having the tests. Why not quiet, continuous assessment? Keeps 'm on their toes.
RT @TheEngTeacher: Squeezing the joy out of a thing via @kalinagoenglish http://viigo.im/3xr2 Includes my comments. Worth remembering ideas.
RT @shighla: 50 Free Collaboration Tools That Are Awesome for Educ. http://icio.us/dnvjxu Wikis, social networks, other resources. Explore!
@ShellTerrell Not using gaming in class - slow Internet, old & not enough computers, firewalls, not sure how helps in EFL, gambling assoc's
English Raven: Back to front http://ht.ly/1LAY2 Great article & discussion on pay & status inequalities. Also, my own comments. A good read!
rt @BPScience: Dan Brown's "Open Letter to Educators". Are schools making themselves irrelevant? http://bit.ly/cyCGQY #education #efl
RT @TheEngTeacher: Quick Question: High expectations of great teachers? Includes my own thoughts. Add more at http://bit.ly/cYDTuU
Great resource by Inma Alcazar: Sharing Learning: 20 Free Online Libraries & Reading Rooms http://ht.ly/1KtlE Now you've got s'thing to read
Free beginner level phonics kit resources for teaching children http://ow.ly/17m7Xz
RT @englishraven: Free beginner phonics kit resources for teaching children http://bit.ly/9lRgXZ Used these in Korean elem. school - v. good
Kideos.com - The Online Kids Video Network | Safe Videos for Children http://bit.ly/bgIXBp Check out "Techno Chicken" - very classy!
RT @Larryferlazzo: ”The problem is that the teachers don’t have to listen to us” http://bit.ly/9YbgN0 Thoughtful article & with my comments.
@Larryferlazzo I agree we can learn from anyone, including military, but we can't paint a glossy one-sided image of them either. Warts'n all
RT @TheEngTeacher: “Top 100 Youtube videos for EFL” http://bit.ly/c9WT3N via @larryferlazzo Great selection for all levels & needs.
RT @marynabadenhors: Tools to convert docs pdf <->word, convert videos, rip mp3 from videos, resize photos, etc. http://bit.ly/2pYC9q
New 5-stage model for work & learning by J. Cross. Feeds neatly into PD & LLL.#ell #tefl #tesl #elt Workscape evolution http://bit.ly/cWNhLD
RT @Marisa_C: RT @ddeubel: Great stuff by @gcouros http://bit.ly/buzJkB What Makes a Master Teacher - EFL teacher qualities relate to this.
@tomwhitby A number of my students try to impress me with their unconcious learning. I often wonder if it's not actually just sleep!
@Marisa_C @ddeubel @gcouros Great list. EFL teachers need exactly the same "master" qualities. They have added issue of being understood.
@tomwhitby #edupd Involve teachers (esp. EFL ones) in choice of topics. Too often impractical or irrelevant to situation at hand otherwise.
How about 4,604 books in English, kids' ones with sound? Try Logos Library - Logos Translations multilingual library http://bit.ly/cQ3KFI
Could be good for ESL class collaborative group work too. HootSuite Gives Groups More Twitter and Facebook Tools http://bit.ly/ahnDm8
To my Korean teaching friends. Now you know what you've been doing wrong and how to fix it. Thanks to English Raven. http://ht.ly/1H96F
Free Guide Making Videos on the Web - Creating videos is one the activities that my students really enjoy doing. T... http://ow.ly/17g2Ad
RT @ShellTerrell: RT @EnglishProfi: 100 free short stories for ESL learners http://bit.ly/duZZ8t Includes text, audio, quiz for high beg.
@tomwhitby Well the kids will lead us anyway. What we shouldn't forget is that teachers are only a small influence on kids anyway.
RT @marynabadenhors: Download and use free interactive thinking tools http://www.exploratree.org.uk/ #elearning #edchat #edbrunei
Well worth browsing. Inspiring Teachers - resources, tips, articles, newsletter, books, webinars, & free web pages http://bit.ly/acEmqP
Can we do this in #EFL? RT @NikPeachey Challenge bsed learning 'focus...on test scores or on engaging students?' http://bit.ly/cZwU1Q (pdf)
Just joined http://edupln.ning.com. The Educator's PLN is for teachers to network, share, exchange ideas etc. Lots of groups, including EFL.
@tomwhitby Re life-long learning. I agree, but your Friere post answers this. It's not only teachers but school policies discouraging them.
@englishraven Teens media use needs parental oversight re time limits & balance with physical activity. Teachers can't do ALL the depriving!
Some ideas for your EWB/IWB/SmartBoard/Wiimote Whiteboards in different subjects - Uses for the Wiiboard http://bit.ly/9kj0ko
@web20classroom Doing what's best for ss, not what's comfortable? Need principals & govt reps to hear this. Only possible issue is job loss.
My recent post @tomwhitby re use of IWBs in EFL classrooms.http://bit.ly/bZ9rws Online #Edtech #esl
RT: @englishraven RT @ShellTerrell: Destinationism - why is it this way? http://bit.ly/at3PUg (So true - for Lego AND language learning!)
@burcuakyol @ShellTerrell MWSnap is also a simple, free capture program at http://www.mirekw.com/ for saving in any image format. Good luck!
@englishraven Thanks for article on TEFL woes in Taiwan. I'll pass on to others teaching here. I agree with it, sadly.http://3.ly/T0Wh
@NikPeacheyIs there any reason to let them use the Internet if it isn't to complete an assigned exercise? Are L1 only sites OK for example?
@TEFL Thanks for keeping us honest and for a timely reminder that a textbook is only one of many resources we ought to use in our classroom.
@cybraryman1 Well, in the case of poor countries, rich ones could send some technology to use. Then THEY could get on board.
I have to agree with you too. All this ’social’ life can be very exhausting to keep up with. I think many of us decided to dip our feet into the waters of the social web and found that it was really more of a tsunami and a small, babbling brook.
An interesting point, if you watch firemen with their hoses, there are usually two, three or more holding on the line to handle the pressure. So, perhaps you need to hire an assistant to keep it all going. Hugo Chavez has 200 apparently, though one has to wonder what’s the point in his case.
I have managed a slight tapering of the flow by using columns in Hootsuite (Twitter) and just looking at ones that interest me. If I want to read about travel, I just look at that column. Additionally, I’m no longer following a number of those following me as either (a) I don’t have the time or (b) I’m not that interested in their tweet topics.
Possibly the best decision was to set up a Bloglines account. Now I can follow about 70 sites of interest by simply receiving their RSS or Atom feed. The posts can be read without going to the individual sites, so it really saves time and ensures I’m current with what’s happening.
As Marcos said in his comment, it’s a question of determining what one wants to get out of the social web and then building a strategy to go with it. (I haven’t quite worked that out yet.) I’m fortunate in that my tiny website is not looked at that much and is a work in progress. Still, keeping up with the tweets seems the biggest challenge.
Perhaps we should re-write the etiquette for Twitter along these lines:
(1) if you decide to follow me, I may or may not follow you
(2) if you mention me, re-tweet me or send me a tweet, I may or may not acknowledge this or reply to it
(3) if I re-tweet you, I may or may not retweet all the sources before you
(4) I may or may not reply to your tweets either at all or in a timely manner
(5) I will not look back over tweets sent more than two hours ago unless they are DM’s or mentions
(6) I act this way because I want to live my life in balance.
Best wishes, Greg.
Posted June 11, 2010 at 03:43 PM
Blogs I Read
ABC Teach Blog
An ELT Notebook
Breaking News English
Buddha,Dharma, Sangha & Me
ED Compass Blog
Educating Her World
EFL Teaching Recipes
Emerging Ed Tech
Free Technology for Teachers
Heads Up English
Jeremy Harmer's Blog
Literacy, Languages & Leadership
Nik's Learning Tech Blog
Nik's Quick Shout
Online Learning Insights
OUP ELT Global Blog
Sean Banville's Blog
Some Random Thoughts
Teacher Reboot Camp
Teach English Brit Council,BBC
The e-Learning Industry Blog
The Innovative Educator